Thursday, November 15, 2012

Tricia Farley

-->
Upon meeting Tricia Farley, it’s apparent that she has an interesting personality. She can be found all around the Tyler studio singing songs not meant for theater in her own unique remixed show tune voice. Although theater is a passion for Tricia, she chose the path of photography at Tyler School of Art. Now in her senior year, she is working on a body of work that portrays exaggerated characters and personalities.  She uses herself as a model and creates a narrative by placing each character within an environment. Aided by her background in theater, Tricia gets into the heads of these characters and explores their psyche through expression, costume, lighting, and color. With a cinematic vibe, these images can be compared to Cindy Sherman’s movie stills and the elaborate scenes of Gregory Crewdson.



Q. What do you want people to get out of your work and what do you feel you get out of it yourself?

A. I want people to have a psychological reaction to my work. In creating these images, I spend so much time with myself to make these personas.  Therefore, when people view my work I would like them to not only get a glimpse inside of my head, but to also turn it around in a way that forces them to look at themselves from a different perspective.  I personally make these images because they force me to push myself.  Not only does this work allow me to get back to my acting roots, but it also challenges me creatively and emotionally.

Q. Who do you look to for inspiration from past masters of photography?
A. Sally Mann.  Apart from the raw emotionality of her images, there is a disquiet about them that I found myself drawn to and wanting to emulate.  And, of course, Cindy Sherman.    Her work has been largely influential in the images that I am currently making.  I also look towards Gregory Crewdson for inspiration.  Lighting is an imperative aspect in my work; so his elaborately lit scenes are definitely something to draw inspiration from.

Q. Do you feel like there's truth in your characters or that you relate to them?
A. Yes and yes.  Granted, these characters are quite exaggerated.  However, there are moments within them in which I feel like I could be them.  In fact, I feel like everyone could be them.  I believe that these characters stem from hidden facets that exist within everyone.  No, I'm not some deranged narcissist who slathers my face in red lipstick while staring longingly into a mirror.  But I could be.  You could be, too.  There is that personality trait, or at least one similar to it, hidden somewhere in everyone's mind.


Tricia’s work is an amazing combination of color, light, personality, and crazy. Her images portray a certain type of emotion that makes the viewer question not only the character in the photograph, but their own sanity as well. This body of work is the perfect mix of theater and photography that Tricia is blending beautifully.


 Interview and review by Gabrielle Smarr 

No comments:

Post a Comment